Monday 28 April 2014

Summer poetry sessions for schools...



Teachers may be interested to know that I'm currently taking bookings for poetry workshop days for children from Nursery to age 13 (Year 8) in England and Wales.

My summer theme choices are:
Sea, Jungle and Mini-Beasts. Each offers infinite potential for creative thinking and writing, and as I prepare my workshop plans for the term ahead I'm growing ever more excited about the wonderful promise these themes hold in terms of ideas, language, imagery, poetic adventure, illustration, musical accompaniment, acting out, and who knows how much more!

The theme of Sea, for instance, offers up a wealth of popular topics from ship wrecks and pirate treasure to tempests and sea serpents, not forgetting the beauty of a sunlit sea, the fun of seaside splashes and, of course, the beach - another source of wonders and fun! And then there's the power of the sea and the plethora of associated concepts: its vastness, mystery, mood-swings, glory, presence...

Further details of my workshops can be found on my other website, poemsforfun.wordpress.com, Workshops page.

"I loved that, and I hate poetry!" a ten-year-old boy told me after a workshop of mine he'd attended in a Wiltshire primary school. I love them too!

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment