Saturday 14 December 2013

Wildlife Poems - book for kids...


Does your child like short, punchy poems? Atmospheric ones about foxes trekking through moonlit snow? Silly ones about dancing - oops! - slipping penguins? Fascinating ones about creatures hibernating under layers of snow? Then here's a book for their Christmas stocking:

Wildlife Poems (by me, Kate Williams)


£4.50 inc. post and packaging for UK orders. Best for older children - approx. age 8-12. (No illustrations - but see bright, crazy cover!)


To order: 

Order direct from me via my email: katewilliams.poetry@gmail.com .

Details: 

See Book (for kids) on my website for details.


Reviews & comments:

Congratulations on producing such a fine-looking book. Superior, I would say, to some published by the large presses. Roger McGough
These poems move quickly down the page like animals might, unleashing rhymes and rhythms everywhere.
Ian McMillan (poet, broadcaster, journalist and playwright)
Kate Williams finds a subject, gives it a twist and hey presto, that little bit of magic a poem needs is conjured up. Brian Moses (poet)
The book is a triumph … light of touch, with wonderful verbal imagery and playfulness throughout. Editor: Funny Poems (www.funny-poems.co.uk)
… well-crafted poems with a diverse range of forms, inventiveness of language, and clever employment of rhyme … always under total control.Graham Denton (poet, anthologist, and editor of Hands Up Books)




Sample poems from the book:
Monkeying Around

Trampolining, tree to tree,
bungee-jumping – look at me!
Backwards, sideways, upside down,
doing the dare-devil, acting the clown!
Swinging, leaping…
whoops, just missed…
saved myself with a mid-air twist!
Hanging down by my little toe…
oh…
and meeting two eyes
below.




Nature Walk

Slid in sludge,
flat on belly.
Stank my scarf,
sank a wellie.
Friends all laughed,
called me Smelly,
sent me off to have a bath
while they watched telly.




Polar Pyjamas

Pillow-puffy,
cushion-fluffy,
the dozy cubs twitch sleepy feet,
cosy, cuddly, snuggly and nice
between blanket and sheet
of snow and ice.




Jaguars and Jaguars

People think I have four wheels,
and another one too, to sit behind.
They think I go brmm, brmm, toot, toot!
But they'll find,
should they meet me one dark night,
that I'm a jag of a junglier kind -
not that I'd mind, but they might.




More on my website: poemsforfun.wordpress.com - Book (for kids) page.

Copyright:
All poems on this page and site are copyright Kate Williams. If you wish to use any for any commercial or public use, please contact me first. Thank you.


Kate

 

No comments:

Post a Comment