Friday 18 October 2013

Joining world from room...



Have just joined Twitter. Better late than never, I suppose, although am I really any more linked to the rest of the world than I was five minutes ago, before I joined up? Here I am, still sitting in the same corner of my silent sitting-room, still trying to tear myself away from the screen and get tootling off to kitchen to stick the kettle on, as I was before I pressed those buttons.

There must be many poems written on this common, yet extraordinary new phenomenon of ours, yet I don't hear it spoken of. Occasionally I hear the opposite: that the internet saves solitary people from feeling too unbearably lonely; but I don't hear talk of how mind-blowingly amazing it is that, sitting alone and touching a few light, flimsy buttons on a little plastic bar, we can instantly link up with minds and souls in opposite hemispheres, seasons, climates and time-zones, of different cultures and languages - total strangers we'll never actually meet, see or hear! I suppose it's time I got past that, like everyone else, but I'm not sure I ever will, or want to. I wonder who may glance at this, for instance. Strange thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment