Thursday 31 October 2013

Shadows and shivers...




The room is growing darker by the second; the twilight outside is now brighter than my still and silent house. A murmuring gust sets leaves a-quiver on the overhanging fronds of weeping cherry; no cheery-red here, though, only the blood-red glow of poisonous berries to guide the cautious eye round the lugubrious gloom of the garden. Beyond lurks the eerie grey of dusky hillside, sinking, shrinking in the grasp of devouring night. But hark! What do I hear? A gasp... a shriek... footsteps upon the path... a booming KNOCK! at the door...

Not already! Bother. Was hoping to make my escape before the first sweet-hungry gang turned up. After all, I haven't even got any sweets to give them: at my age, and with my teeth, sweets just don't feature on the shopping list. Last year I braced myself for the eggs and flour, but this year... I mean, the kids are all a year bigger, aren't they, and more numerous, and I'm a year older and duller and, okay, scareder. Think I'll sneak out the back way and jump in the car. What's more, I'll don a disguise too. For once, I don't object to the idiotic design of my gigantic cagoule hood...

Ha-ha! My trick! My treat! I'm off to the supermarket for some teabags, and - who knows? - perhaps even a Hallowe'en doughnut to dunk on my return... if I return... perhaps there is something about the darkness tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment