Friday 25 October 2013

Workshops for schools



I've just added some information for schools to my
Contact and For kids pages.


I've provided about 1,500 workshop days through the past 13 years, for children of all ages, abilities and backgrounds. I've worked in nurseries, primary schools, secondary schools, state and private schools, pupil referral units, and libraries. To date these have been in Wales, southern England, the Midlands, London, and Nottinghamshire. Most of my workshops are for primary schools, where I work with children from age 3 upwards.

I'm a member of Authors Abroad, mostly working with either able or reluctant writers gathered together from a number of schools. I'm also represented by Literature Wales, and have provided sessions for their able writers' squads around Wales. In addition, I'm included on The Poetry Society's list of recommended writers for schools.

I offer a choice of themes for each term, sometimes altering them a little at half-term. For November and December my topic choices will be:

Fireworks;  Leaves (and trees);  Lights & Colours.
I restrict choices to just one per day, as I can't get my head - or arms - round more! But for each one I provide a stimulating array of pictures, toys or artefacts, support poems, acting out activities, and for younger children, a word-building song with classical guitar and an action-rhyme to clap and act out. I also provide my own worksheets, graded for all levels and set out in attractive, informal presentations with lively illustrations.

Fees vary depending on distance. Details on Contact page.

Feedback can be found on my other website: poemsforfun.wordpress.com - Workshops.

I find every workshop an adventure, although each is carefully planned, and often previously tried and tested. My enthusiasm seems to rub off on the children too, the only real problem tending to be pursuading them to stop writing at the end! A child once told me, at the end of a session: "I loved that, and I HATE poetry!"

Performances for adults
(humorous, unless a preference stated for serious or a mix)


Details about my performances for adults will follow soon, though you can probably find all you need by checking the information on the Contact page and at the bottom of the other pages here, and then by following the links.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!


No comments:

Post a Comment